Most of us do not realize the importance of good sleep for maintaining good health and emotional and metal well-being. Lack of sleep not only makes us irritable and lethargic, it also has a negative impact upon our work performance.
Sleep problems can also cause weight again, increase in stress and mood swings including depression. To enjoy good sound sleep, the human body needs a balanced and healthy lifestyle. Following these tips can help you achieve a healthier lifestyle, which can only come with deep restful sleep!.
- Include protein in your diet. Proteins provide the body with an essential nutrient Tryptophan (an amino acid) that serves as a relaxant and induces sleep (source: Fish, Chicken, eggs, milk etc).
- Avoid having junk food and sweets before bedtime as these will cause your sugar level to rise and make it difficult for your body to fall asleep.
- Eating pulses and calcium rich food is yet another sleep-friendly nutrient that helps calm the nervous system where Vitamin C, almonds and cheese are equally effective.
- Avoid having coffee or tea to bed-time as caffeine is a stimulant which will only keep you awake at night. Overeating and sleeping right after dinner must also be avoided.
- Avoid taking cough syrups containing alcohol before going to bed as although these are effective in sleep induction, they impair sleep during the second half of the night.
- Establish a routine by going to bed at the same time every night. Exercise moderately starting from 15 minutes every morning and gradually increase the time to 30 minutes.